Health: Saving Lives
Saving lives, improving health and wellness and overall quality of life are key goals of biomedical engineers.Innovative, leading-edge research is needed to do everything from detect disease to provide therapies to create better biomaterials.
Leading the charge is the School of Biomedical Engineering with focuses in three key areas of research:
Biomaterials and Devices
- Growth/regeneration of cells, tissues, and organs
- Biomaterials, implantable devices, and sensors for various applications
Imaging, Sensing, and Detection
- Development and application of imaging technologies for cell, tissue, organ and brain diagnostics and therapies
- Novel drug & delivery advancements
- Biodegradable polymers
- Tissue engineering
- Release of signalling molecules
Challenges: Improving drug delivery, lowering costs, improving quality of life for people with chronic diseases, creating healthy homes, communities designed for healthy living, better biomaterials.