Civil Engineering - PhD – Faculty of Engineering

Civil Engineering – PhD

The PhD degree is a thesis-based program where students are required to complete courses in addition to writing and defending a thesis.

4 years
Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering (Co-op Available)


Admission requirements

Academic Prerequisites

Master’s Degree (MAsc, MSc, or equivalent) in a related field.

Find English language requirements here.

Anticipated Admission Range
A- (80-84%), including a min B (73-76%) in final two years of Bachelor’s degree

September 2024 Admission

  • Applications open Oct 1st 2023
  • Canadian/Permanent Residents:
    • Application Deadline: June 14th 2024
  • International Students:
    • Application Deadline: March 14th 2024

January 2025 Admission

  • Applications open March 14th 2024
  • Canadian/Permanent Residents:
    • Application Deadline: October 1st 2024
  • International Students:
    • Application Deadline: July 1st 2024

Note: PhD Candidates will be required to complete the equivalent of 2 half courses beyond the Masters degree and successful defence of a thesis. Candidates are also required to pass a Comprehensive Examination. Under some circumstances, arrangements can be made with the department for part-time PhD study.

Academic advisor talking to student

Frequently asked questions

You can apply for a graduate degree while you are finishing your current program. The Graduate Affairs Committee will review your in-progress transcripts that you submit at the time of your application. 

Applicants whose results are not within the last two years should submit a new TOEFL or IELTS test result.

If you completed a 4 year degree in English, the department may accept this as proof of English language proficiency. You must include an official letter from your previous institution noting the language of instruction OR have this printed on your transcript. Please include these documents as a pdf file when you apply.

No.  We only accept IELTS or TOEFL.

Co-op options are only discussed once you are in the program. The co-op office will send information to all new students at the beginning of the degree and students must obtain permission from their supervisor to take a co-op term(s).

The university does not waive application fees.

Applicants will only be considered for the degree in which they applied. If an applicant wants to be considered for more than one degree, a separate application (including documents and referee submissions) must be submitted for each degree.

You do not need an official transcript to apply. However, if you are accepted into the program, you will be required to submit official transcripts at that time.

We do not accept hard copy transcripts for application documents. Only digital copies are required for application review. We do not require any official transcripts (hard copy or digital) unless an applicant is granted an offer of admission. 

Yes. The MEng, MASc and PhD programs all require students to have a supervisor.

No, applicants are not required to find a supervisor themselves. If an applicant makes it to the final round of the admission competition then all faculty members will have access to review their application. If a faculty member is interested then an offer of admission will be granted. 

If you would like to contact a faculty member about the possibility of gaining their admissions support as a potential supervisor and advocate for your application, please feel free to reach out to them by email. Contact information for faculty members is listed on the department website.

Tuition information can be found here:

Click on the Faculty of Engineering tab and then scroll down to the correct program tuition chart (The MEng program is course based, the MASc is research based and PhD is PhD). Also note, level is the same as the year e.g., level 1 is year 1 of study. 

Full time MASc and PhD students receive funding from the department in the form of scholarships. MEng do not receive scholarships.

No, we do not require or accept GRE results.

No, only academic references are accepted.

Yes, you can apply if your area is not in civil engineering but it is helpful if you do have this background.  You don’t need to take any prerequisites to apply.  If you gain admission, your supervisor will advise you on what courses you should take.

Co-op and Student Life

  • Graduate Co-op

    Master’s and PhD students may complete 4 to 12 months of co-op experience in various types of organizations, including corporations, non-profit organizations, government agencies, startups and research institutions.

    Explore Co-op
  • Engineering Graduate Society

    The EGS actively supports engineering graduate students through events, workshops, bursaries, and collaboration with various campus organizations, focusing on representation, community building, and academic and professional development.

    Visit the EGS site
  • Life in Hamilton

    Hamilton, also known as The Hammer or Steeltown, is a thriving city close to the U.S. border and Toronto, with easy access for students commuting from the Greater Toronto Area via the on-campus GO Bus Terminal.

    Discover Hamilton, ON

How to apply

Understand every step, from applying, to accepting your offer and joining us on campus!

Request more information

Thank you for your interest in our Graduate Studies. Please fill out the form below, and we will connect with you to answer all of your questions.

Image of ETB