MMRI at McMaster University is a premier Manufacturing Research Institute in Canada. The Metal Forming Laboratory (MFL) of MMRI is engaged in a wide range of scientific and applied research on many aspects of sheet metal forming to provide a basic understanding of the factors that control the formability of sheet materials into desirable components.
- To develop understanding by selective and novel experimental investigation to characterize the forming behaviour of sheet and the interaction of sheet and tooling.
- To develop innovative die design and process development solutions to industrial stamping problems.
- To establish essential linkages with industrial partners, other national and international universities and Government institutions and laboratories to broaden its knowledge and experience base.
- Where applicable and appropriate, to apply numerical simulations to forming problems and operations, in order to:
- Gain insight into forming operations and material behaviour not achievable by any other means
- Provide a framework for application modeling in joint development programs with industrial partners
- Be actively involved in the development of numerical methods and modeling techniques that could alter the way in which forming operations are simulated numerically.
MFL – Our Facilities
MFL has a variety of facilities and experimental setups. Our facilities include, but are not
limited to the following:
- Interlaken Press
- MACRODYNE Press
- Formability Tests Equipment
- Tube Bursting System
- Strain Mapping Systems
MFL – Our Research
Information Box Group
Our major research areas include the following: