Industry Technical Background
Other Technical Specializations
• W.T. Chen, R.R. Mansour, “Miniature Gas Sensor and Sensor Array with Single and Dual Modes RF Dielectric Resonators”, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 66, no. 8, pp. 3697-3704, 2018
• W.T. Chen, R.R. Mansour, “RF Humidity Sensor Implemented with PEI-coated Compact Microstrip Resonant Cell”, IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series, Pavia, Italy, Sept. 20-22, 2017
• W.T. Chen, K.M.E. Stewart, C.K. Yang, R.R. Mansour, J. Carroll, A. Penlidis, “Wearable RF Sensor Array Implementing Coupling-Matrix Readout Extraction Technique”, IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol. 63, no. 12, pp. 4157-4168, 2015
• W.T. Chen, K.M.E. Stewart, R.R. Mansour, A. Penlidis, “Polymeric Sensing Material-based Selectivity-enhanced RF Resonant Cavity Sensor for Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) Detection”, IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, Phoenix AZ, May 17-22, 2015
• W.T. Chen, K.M.E. Stewart, R.R. Mansour, A. Penlidis, “Novel Undercoupled Radio-Frequency (RF) Resonant Sensor for Gaseous Ethanol and Interferents Detection”, Sensors and Actuators Vol. A: Physical, vol. 230, no. 1, pp. 63-73, 2014
• W.T. Chen, R.R. Mansour, and J. Carroll, “A Coupling Matrix-Based Readout Technique for Single-Port Multi-Resonator Passive Sensor Array”, presented at IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, Tampa Bay, FL, USA, June 1-6, 2014
• W.T. Chen, K.M.E. Stewart, J. Carroll, R. Mansour, E. Abdel-Rahman, A. Penlidis, “Novel Gaseous Phase Ethanol Sensor Implemented with Underloaded RF Resonator for Sensor-Embedded Passive Chipless RFIDs”, in Transducer 2013 Conf. Proc., Barcelona, Spain, pp. 2059-2062, 2013
• M.J. Gong, U. Alakusu, S. Bonen, M.S. Dadash, L. Lucci, H. Jia, L.E. Gutierrez, W.T. Chen, D.R. Daughton, G.C. Adam, S. Iordanescu, M. Pasteanu, N. Messaoudi, D. Harame, A. Muller, R.R. Mansour, S.P. Voinigescu, “Design Considerations for Spin Readout Amplifiers in Monolithically Integrated Semiconductor Quantum Processors”, IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, Boston, MA, USA, June 2-4, 2019
• S. Bonen, U. Alakusu, Y. Duan, M.J. Gong, M.S. Dadash, L. Lucci, D.R. Daughton, G.C. Adam, S. Iordanescu, M. Pasteanu, I. Giangu, H. Jia, L.E. Cutierrez, W.T. Chen, N. Messaoudi, D. Harame, A. Muller, R.R. Mansour, P. Asbeck, and S.P. Voinigescu, “Cryogenic Characterization of 22nm FDSOI CMOS Technology for Quantum Computer ICs ”, IEEE Electron Device Letters, vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 127-130, 2019
• S.M. Sarwana, A. M. Kadin, D. Kirichenko, V. Dotsenko, R. R. Mansour, W. T. Chen, G. Glatz, T. Schmitt, D. Gupta, “Manufacturable Components for Frequency Multiplexed Cryogenic Detector Readout Systems “, IEEE Applied Superconductivity Conference, Colorado, DE, September 2016.
• K.M.E. Stewart, W.T. Chen, R.R. Mansour, A. Penlidis, “Doped Poly (2,5-dimethylaniline) for the Detection of Ethanol”, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 132, no. 28, 2015
Scott received his Bachelor of Applied Science with honour at Simon Fraser University in 2007, with the specialization in microcontroller- and FPGA-based embedded system design, and received his Ph.D. degree in 2015 at University of Waterloo with the research focus of RF resonating transdermal vapour biomedical sensors with specialized polymeric sensing materials.
He’s continued as an industry-supported MITAC post-doctoral fellow until the end of 2017, during which he also worked as a senior sensor systems engineering lead at Sober Steering Sensors for transdermal alcohol detection armband, a device eventually sent to NIH in Washington DC as a competition candidate. He’d also worked as embedded system engineer and technical project manager in the industry, and had been a professor and the program coordinator for both the Department of Electronics Systems Engineering and the Department of Cyber Systems Engineering at Conestoga College from 2019 to 2022, during which he was nominated for the Aubrey Hagar Distinguished Teaching Award in 2021.
Scott joined the Department of ECE at McMaster University as a teaching-focused assistant professor in July, 2022, and has been licensed as a P.Eng. since January 2023.
Granted 2018 US Patent 9,958,444B2
“Apparatus, Systems and Methods for Sensing an Analyte such as Ethanol”