The department offers courses of study and research leading to the Master’s (both thesis and project and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical and Computer Engineering. We currently have approximately 170 full-time graduate students. The main research areas actively pursued by the members of the department are: biomedical engineering, CAD/optimization/simulation, communications, computer engineering, image processing and multimedia, microelectronics, microwaves, networks, photonics/optoelectronics, power engineering and signal processing.
Please carefully read all instructions in the application system. Prior to submitting your material (documents), please gather ALL required items and upload them AT THE SAME TIME, by the deadline date (the last day that the application system is open – as indicated above).
ONCE ALL MATERIAL IS SUBMITTED, NO MATERIAL OR ANY PART OF THE APPLICATION CAN BE CHANGED.
Please do not mail any material to the ECE department unless we request it from you.
If any of the requested material is not uploaded at the time of application your application may be declined without review.
Steps for Application
Once you have all necessary documents, you can start your application on the School of Graduate Studies website.
Upload the following items for a complete application:
- One official transcript of academic work completed to date, sent directly from the issuing institution. If the final transcript does not show that a completed degree has been conferred, an official copy of your diploma is also required. If you do not have all grades, please provide your most recent up-to-date transcripts.
- Two confidential letters of recommendation from instructors who are most familiar with your academic work. Please note that McMaster University uses the Electronic Referencing System. By entering the email address of your referee through the online application, the system will automatically send an e-Reference request on your behalf. If for some reason you are unable to use the Electronic Referencing System, you can download the Referee Report form from the School of Graduate Studies website.
- Provide English Language Proficiency Evidence (if applicable)
- Statement of Interest in pursuing graduate studies (one page).
- Your CV / Resume.
- Record of Landing – for Permanent Residents ONLY. Scan and upload the front and back of your card.
- Application fee is $110 CAD, to be paid by credit card on the online application system.
You can check your application status online
Phone or email queries for status updates on your application will not be provided.
Once the status is “Complete” there is nothing further for you to do.
If your application is unsuccessful your application status will be marked as DENIED. Only successful applications will be notified by email.
- Please note that due to the volume of applications received the checklist will not be updated right away.
- If, after 20 days, your application has not been updated, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. The application will be updated and you will be able to check application status as above.
- Applications are processed manually and Checklists in Mosiac are updated manually. This may mean that your Application Checklist may say “Initiated” despite the application material being submitted or “Completed”.
- Inquiries about Offers will not be answered.
If the applicant receives an offer from McMaster, you would then need to provide your original final transcripts as stated in the offer letter.
Additional Information for ECE
You do not need to secure a supervisor beforehand.
Please see the graduate calendar for courses, tuition, etc.
Important Deadlines for Applications to the Electrical & Computer Program
When applying for January 2024, May 2024 is also included- Applications considered for both terms – system will only relate January 2024
NOTE: ALL MATERIAL FOR YOUR APPLICATION WILL NEED TO BE UPLOADED AND COMPLETED BY THE APPROPRIATE DEADLINE INDICATED BELOW (including 2 academic reference letters).
January/May 2024 Admission (2241/2245)
Opening dates applying for admission for January/May 2024 – Thursday, July 6, 2023
The closing dates for applying for admission for January/May 2024 on the Slate system are:
International – Thursday, October 5, 2023
Domestic – Thursday, October 26, 2023
September 2024 Admission (2249)
Opening dates applying for admission for September 2024 – Thursday, November 30, 2023
The closing dates for applying for admission for September 2024 on the Slate system are:
International – Friday, May 3, 2024
Domestic – Friday, June 14, 2024