Pre-Work Term Documents - Before you Leave
Congratulations on obtaining a Co-op Work Term!
In order for your position to be counted as a Co-op work term, we need to have a signed work term contract, and have received funds to cover the required work term fees. Please read the contract carefully – it is a contract, a legal, binding document. Please ask if you have any questions about this agreement.
Please note the following important info:
- A signed and dated work term contract must be returned to our office (see below for link to appropriate form). Scan form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fees are charged to your student account at the beginning of each work term and a co-op course code will be added to your transcript.
For work terms of longer than 4 months:
- OSAP: You are not required to make payments while on work term, provided you complete the Continuation of Interest-Free Status (CIFS/Schedule 2) form and return the original copy to the Student Financial Aid office. Those on 16-month work terms will need to complete two forms: for the first 12 months, and the last 4 months. Fill out the Study Period Start Date and Study Period End Date fields under the section for your name and address. If you have any questions about how to complete the form, please call the ECCS office. For January work terms - students with approved OSAP funding for that academic year, must fill out a Winter Addendum. See the OSAP home page for info.
- UHIP: For INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ONLY: UHIP fees will be charged to your student account in September, in the same process as when you are registered for full-time classes. The International Student Services office is responsible for adminstering the medical coverage.
- Temporary McMaster Library privileges: let us know if you would like to access the library, and we will provide you with the documents for temporary access.
- If you will be using GO Transit: for your commute to work, email email@example.com to request the student fare application.
- PEO pre-graduation experience: For those who are more than half way through their academic program, you may gain credit towards your PEO license for up to 12 months of pre-graduation experience. Check out the PEO website for more info.
- NOTE: You are not covered by the student extended health benefits while on fall or winter co-op terms.
We will inform the following about your status while on a work term: the Registrar’s Office (you must go on Mosaic to drop courses you have registered in if necessary), the Administrative Coordinators of departments and programs in the Engineering Faculty, the Student Financial Aid Office to confirm you are working, and the Associate Dean’s office. We want your work term to be a success – please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns, or if there is anything you need from us.
We would like to draw your attention to the following:
Please refer to the appropriate section below for contracts and fee information.
Have a safe and productive work term!