Thinking about Joining Co-op?
The Co-op program is worth thinking about! It is the easiest way a student can ensure their future success in the field of engineering. This program provides the opportunity to apply the technical knowledge that you learn in
in the workforce. These are real
jobs doing real
Heard of RIM, IBM or Honda? Our McMaster B.Eng and B.Tech Co-op students work at these companies and many others to further develop their technical knowledge and skills fundamental to engineering professionalism, such as communication, team work, and problem solving.
The Engineering Co-op and Career Services Office (ECCS)
delivers the Co-op program to thousands of students each year. We are with you during the whole process, helping you navigate your way through job applications, interviews and offers. Our goal at ECCS is to work with you to develop the essential skills today's businesses want and expect from their future employees.
Please refer to the section below that applies to your specific program for more information. International Students are encouraged to join the Co-op program.
Bachelor of Engineering Co-op
For B.Eng/Computer Science students, there are 3 important facts to understand about the McMaster Engineering Co-op Program:
1. It is optional. You can decide to join at any time during your studies - as long as you are enrolled as a full-time student before, and after, your co-op work term. Completing 12 months of Co-op work experience will give you the Co-op designation on your official transcript.
2. It is flexible. Once enrolled in the program, you can decide to work during summer work terms only, or as a senior student, you can choose to do a Co-op work term of 8, 12 or 16 months. The choice is yours. View possible work term options.
3. It is easy to join. You can apply for Co-op through your OUAC application, or you can join once you are on campus, up to and including in your final year of studies (although this final work term option is limited to January 12-months).
Once on campus, all new co-op students must register with the ECCS office by filling out a registration agreement, and logging-in to OSCARplus. View the page Join Co-op for more details.
Kick Start Your Career Before You Graduate
Enroll in the Co-op program!
B.Eng Co-op Info Sheet
Bachelor of Technology Co-op
B.Tech students are automatically enrolled in the Co-op program when they register for their academic year, however, there are still a few administrative things to complete. Please view the page Join Co-op for details, or download the Info Sheet. Students are required to complete 12 months of Co-op work experience in order to fulfill the requirements of the B.Tech program.
Work terms are completed during specific times during your academic program.
Please view the co-op timelines for the various B.Tech programs:
4-year B.Tech Programs
- Degree Completion Program (DCP) - Flexible work terms usually starting after your second semester of academic studies. Please refer to your Program Advisor for further details.
For general information on the B.Tech program please go to:
Who is Eligible for Co-op?
Not all B.Eng and B.Tech students are eligible to join co-op. Students must be:
- Registered in an undergraduate program, as a full-time student (24 units), both before and after each work term.
- Be in good academic standing as defined by the Faculty of Engineering (not on academic probation).
- Be compliant with, and remain in compliance with University, Co-op, and other Career Centre policies and procedures.
See the individual programs for further details.